BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, Texas (Big 2/Fox 24) – A 73-year-old hiker reportedly died at Big Bend National Park over the weekend.
According to officials with the park, they were notified about the hiker around 12:30 p.m. Saturday.
The hiker, identified only as a 73-year-old man from Austin, collapsed and stopped breathing in the Emory Peak Trail of the Chisos Mountains, according to a release.
Bystanders reportedly tried to perform CPR on the man before medical personnel could arrive to arrest but were unsuccessful.
“Big Bend National Park staff and partners are saddened by this loss” stated acting Superintendent Tom VandenBerg, “and our entire park family extends sincere condolences to the hiker’s family and friends.”
- More 100’s For The Big Country
- Wake-Up Weather: Another warm start with iso. showers… very hot and dry afternoon
- AISD still drafting reopening plans, awaits more TEA guidelines
- Rural hospitals face new obstacles as coronavirus continues to spread
- Pandemic hits women harder in jobs, health care