LONGVIEW, Texas (AP) — Investigators say an East Texas sheriff’s deputy has fatally shot a burglary suspect as the pair fought in an Interstate 20 ditch.
The Gregg County Sheriff’s Office says 37-year-old Dewayne Morgan of Tatum was pronounced dead Sunday night at a hospital. A sheriff’s statement Monday says Deputy Logan Joines was treated for minor injuries from the attack near Longview.
Deputies responding to a burglary in progress were advised that the resident shot at the suspect. Joines arrived and deployed his Taser, which authorities say had no effect on Morgan.
Officials say the deputy chased Morgan across I-20, leading to a fight in the ditch and Joines fatally shooting the suspect.
Joines was treated for unspecified injuries and released from a hospital. He’s on administrative leave amid the Texas Rangers investigation.
- Super Host: Bucs become 1st to play Super Bowl at home
- 51st annual West Texas Rehab Telethon raises $1,459,803 for patients
- 5 deaths, 115 new COVID-19 cases reported in Abilene/Taylor County
- State of Texas: Texans push back against President Biden’s agenda
- Ted Cruz vs. Seth Rogen: Republican Texas senator and actor take shots over Twitter