HOUSTON (AP) — A Harris County sheriff’s deputy is facing an assault charge after inviting a man to slap him in the face, then slapping the man to the ground.
The Harris County district attorney’s office said a grand jury indicted 39-year-old Ellison Collins Tuesday.
Prosecutors say Collins invited the now 61-year-old man to slap him in a restaurant parking lot last year. Video shows the man slowly raising his hand toward Collins, who then slaps him. It does not show what led to the altercation.
The sheriff’s office says Collins was placed on administrative duty and the investigation into the incident will be presented to a disciplinary committee.
Attorney Justin Keiter says Collins is not guilty and called the indictment “an affront to all of law enforcement.”
- Jeopardy! shares Thanksgiving message from late host Alex Trebek
- Nurse who came out of retirement to train others dies from COVID-19
- One person killed, another wounded in Black Friday shooting at Arden Fair Mall
- CDC sets meeting on allocation of COVID-19 vaccine
- Regional Round Playoff Scores and Highlights