AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Five Texas GOP lawmakers are suing Republican Gov. Greg Abbott over a $295 million contact tracing deal signed during the early months of the coronavirus pandemic.
The lawsuit filed in Austin on Wednesday claims the deal skirted oversight and amounted to the governor exceeding his authority.
The lawmakers are among the most conservative in the state Legislature, and the lawsuit in a Travis County court broadly reflects ongoing anger from the Texas GOP’s far right over Abbott’s handling of the pandemic.
Abbott’s did not return messages seeking comment about the lawsuit.
- All12 Courtside: COVID-19 outbreak leads to Big 12 postponements
- Democrats support President Joe Biden’s executive orders, Republicans critical of changes
- Bridge over Catclaw Creek on North 18th closed for foreseeable future
- Biden administration asks Congress to pass COVID-19 relief bill
- KRBC Thursday Evening Forecast: Brief break from rain tomorrow with more rain possible this weekend