MCKINNEY, Texas (AP) — A jury has sentenced a North Texas man to death for the 2018 killings of a Dallas-area police officer and another man.
Brandon McCall had been convicted Feb. 19 of capital murder for shooting his friend, Rene Gamez II, and Richardson police officer David Sherrard.
A Collin County jury deliberated for about eight hours Thursday before condemning the 28-year-old McCall.
Police called the shooting an ambush.
Defense attorneys acknowledged that McCall shot the men but said the killings were unintentional.
During the trial, jurors were shown video of the moment Sherrard was shot.
- Protesters call on Sen. Lindsey Graham to stop confirmation of SCOTUS nominee
- Cooper joins 11 other Big Country teams in Harris Ratings
- Wylie Bulldogs are ready to start the Clay Martin era
- Falls County Sheriff arrested by Texas Rangers
- Monday Evening Forecast: Fall is Right On Our Doorstep.