WYLIE, Texas (WFAA-TV/AP) — The mayor of a small town outside of Dallas told a fellow City Council member by email that women shouldn’t be allowed to lead the prayer at public meetings because it goes against the Bible.
Wylie Mayor Eric Hogue quoted two New Testament scriptures in the email sent to Jeff Forrester in which he suggested that the council select young men to lead invocation at the next meeting on May 26.
Forrester says he hasn’t seen Hogue disparage women in his nearly five years serving on the council, but noted that he was “shocked by his response.”
- Abilene parade honors Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- President Trump’s final hours in office expected to be non-traditional
- No indication of insider threat before inauguration, says acting Pentagon chief
- ‘It has been the greatest honor:’ first lady Melania Trump releases farewell message
- HSU’s Ellis claims American Southwest Conference honor