AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas has surpassed 10,000 new coronavirus cases in a single day for the first time as a resurgence of the outbreak rages across the U.S.
The record high of 10,028 confirmed cases Tuesday follows Republican Gov. Greg Abbott decision to mandate masks in much of the state and to close bars, retreating from what had been one of America’s fastest reopenings.
New York and Florida are the only other states to have reported more than 10,000 confirmed new cases in a single day.
Texas surged past 8,000 hospitalizations for the first time over the Fourth of July weekend, a more than quadruple increase in the past month.
- Feeding Texas, food banks work to end senior citizen hunger in Abilene
- AHS Eagles season ends at hands of Byron Nelson
- What ERCOT says it could’ve done better during Texas winter freeze, and what lawmakers are looking for in hearings
- President Biden signs executive order, with bipartisan support, to bolster US supply chains
- ACU Baseball opens season with hot start