AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas has surpassed 10,000 new coronavirus cases in a single day for the first time as a resurgence of the outbreak rages across the U.S.
The record high of 10,028 confirmed cases Tuesday follows Republican Gov. Greg Abbott decision to mandate masks in much of the state and to close bars, retreating from what had been one of America’s fastest reopenings.
New York and Florida are the only other states to have reported more than 10,000 confirmed new cases in a single day.
Texas surged past 8,000 hospitalizations for the first time over the Fourth of July weekend, a more than quadruple increase in the past month.
- Houston real estate company employees claim CEO said ‘Take off your mask or you can go home’
- This NC woman turns 116 today and is the oldest person in the U.S.
- Remote learning: Online safety tips for students and parents
- Trump supporters attempt world record boat parade near Clearwater Beach
- TLCA’s ‘Smart Start Week’ gives students, parents, & teachers preview of school protocol