WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Thursday that the House is moving forward to draft articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump.
’’Our democracy is what is at stake,” Pelosi said. “The president leaves us no choice but to act.”
Pelosi delivered the historic announcement as Democrats push toward a vote, possibly by Christmas.
She said she was authorizing the drafting of articles of impeachment “sadly but with confidence and humility.”
“The president’s actions have seriously violated the Constitution,” Pelosi said.
At the heart of the impeachment probe is a July call with the president of Ukraine, in which Trump pressed the leader to investigate Democrats and political rival Joe Biden as Trump was withholding aid to the country.
“Our democracy is what is at stake,” Pelosi said in her solemn announcement. “The president leaves us no choice but to act because he is trying to corrupt, once again, the election for his own benefit. The president has engaged in abuse of power, undermining our national security and jeopardizing the integrity of our elections.”
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Mother welcomes son just in time for the holidays after surviving tragic explosion
- Wednesday, November 25, 2020: Very nice and pleasant afternoon
- Mild & nice for your Wednesday
- Wake-Up Weather: A cold and quiet morning makes for a very nice and mild afternoon
- Vandals cut hoses on City of Anson roller, delaying progress on North Lake