AUSTIN, Texas (KXAN) — The year 1980 was the beginning of four decades of near-consistent mass shootings in Texas.
KXAN investigators researched and documented 32 shootings that had at least three victims in Texas within that time frame and created an interactive timeline with photos and videos of coverage and content related to each.
The experience begins in El Paso in 1980, when a 21-year-old shot and killed five people and hurt three others in the Starburst Lounge. Later that year, a gunman opened fire in the First Baptist Church in Daingerfield, Texas, as people were singing worship. Five people died and 10 others were killed.
- Monday Wake-Up Weather: Warm and windy today, rain chances tomorrow. Highs today around 90-91 with Southerly winds 10-15 G25mph. We have a 50% chance for rain and thunderstorms on Tuesday, mainly after lunchtime.
- Sunday evening forecast: don’t forget to grab the umbrella this week, you’ll need it
- BCH Sports Top 5 Plays of the Week: Week 5
- Dr Pepper Play of the Week: Abilene High’s Da’King Thomas runs and dives for the 52-yard score
- Sunday, September 26 – Warm Monday to start the workweek