ABILENE, Texas (PRESS RELEASE) –TxDOT crews started pre-treating roadways in the Abilene District Monday morning in preparation for winter weather that will impact the area Tuesday night.
Crews across the 13-county district are treating Tier 1 and Tier 2 roadways, which include high-traffic corridors such as I-20, US 84 from Roscoe to the Garza County line, US 83/84, and US 277, among others. The brine mixture will discourage ice from bonding to the roadways and structures as wintry precipitation begins to fall.
The Abilene District is working closely with the National Weather Service to monitor weather conditions. Safety of the traveling public is TxDOT’s priority and crews will be working in shifts around the clock to prepare for and respond to any wintry weather that moves into the district, monitoring and treating roadways as needed.
Motorists can also do their part by driving carefully and following these guidelines:
- Use caution when driving over bridges and overpasses, as temperatures can be colder on elevated surfaces.
- Reduce speed and drive with caution. A vehicle needs more distance to stop on a slick roadway. Do not apply the brakes suddenly and do not use cruise control,so that you can better maintain control if you encounter slippery roads.
- Slow down when approaching emergency or maintenance vehicles, especially when their flashing lights are on. The law requires you to maintain a distance of at least 200 feet when approaching a snow plow, and never pass on the right. Visibility can also be reduced during winter weather conditions.
- Be patient. Your trip time – including short commutes to work –could increase when adverse weather conditions exist. Also, keep to the main roads and avoid taking roads that may not have been plowed.
- Winterize vehicles before traveling during adverse weather. Check fuel, tire conditions, oil and antifreeze levels. Make sure heater, brakes and windshield wipers are working properly.
- Check area weather conditions on radio or television before starting a trip.
- ACU men and women sweep SLU at home
- Saturday Evening Forecast: Sunny with a Few Passing Showers.
- Police arrest man trying to enter D.C. security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- Small group of protesters gather outside of closed, guarded Texas Capitol on Saturday