LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Scientists in Hungary have created a Frankenfish by mistake. The accident led to the creation of new species: A mix of Russian sturgeon and American paddlefish.
Russian sturgeon fish are the source of some of the finest caviar in the world, so the scientists were trying to get the endangered sturgeon to reproduce asexually.
They wanted to use paddlefish sperm in the process, but without transferring its DNA to the sturgeon. However, the paddlefish’s DNA still went through, and the new species of fish was born.
Its name hasn’t been chosen, but one nickname that came up so far is “Struddlefish.”
The research has been published in the journal “Genes.”
- Detainees at ICE El Paso Processing Center accuse guards of sexual assault and harassment
- Houston real estate company employees claim CEO said ‘Take off your mask or you can go home’
- This NC woman turns 116 today and is the oldest person in the U.S.
- Remote learning: Online safety tips for students and parents
- Trump supporters attempt world record boat parade near Clearwater Beach